5 replies to this topic

#1 HumbledEnuff

HumbledEnuff

Heavy Poster

• +Originals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

My son was born September 15, 2013. I was breastfeeding him but stopped due to his slow weight gain. I first thought it was my milk supply but turned out my son had Larynogalomacia. He was diagnosed in November. I decided I wanted to start breastfeeding again but I didn't know how to. So I talked to a LC and she gave me some tips.

I officially started my journey on December 5th. I wasn't getting much at all in the beginning I barely got an ounce a week. As time on went on I noticed my drops were getting bigger and I was pumping about 0.5oz a day. On Day 11 I pumped 3oz. Everything was going good until I went back to work. I stopped pumping as much due to being tired then with Christmas I was shopping a lot. I got off track and it was almost like starting over. So I started power pumping each session since December 27th. My supply caught back up.

Day 29 (Today) I pumped these two bottles in 7 days. That's 7oz. So that's almost an ounce a day. I read on Kellymom.com that bottles in the fridge last 8 days. So I'm contemplating on whether or not I should feed him these bottles or if I should store them in the freezer. Right now he has been drinking formula. I know it is up to me on what I should do but I would really like to read you ladies opinion. Thanks in advance.

IMG_20140103_194535_zpshpfxmtha.jpg

#2 HopefulMom2Be

HopefulMom2Be

Moderate Poster

• +Originals
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Do you mean feed these to him when you're at work or when you're with him? Have you been trying to nurse him when you're together? I think I would nurse and then pump. I was always told that was the best way to tell your body you need more. I also thought nursing helped produce more milk.
@HumbledEnuff
I think that's awesome you are doing this. I didn't know that was an option.

#3 HumbledEnuff

HumbledEnuff

Heavy Poster

• +Originals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

@HopefulMom2Be I meant feed him right away. I don't have a stash and I'm mostly giving him formula. I'm trying to nurse but he won't latch. Sometimes he does but its only for a few seconds. Though the other day he did about 5 minutes, with nipple shield. I'm trying to be consistent as possible. I offer the breast before and after each feeding. I offer it for comfort before giving him a pacifier. I know if he latches on for good my supply will double maybe triple what I get now. I just have to get him to latch on and stay on.

#4 HopefulMom2Be

HopefulMom2Be

Moderate Poster

• +Originals
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:06 AM

I never thought about the latch being difficult after you had stopped. Does your pediatrician have a lactation consultant? If so that person might have great tips for getting your lo to latch.
@HumbledEnuff

#5 Alida

Alida

Heavy Poster

• Administrators
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

@HumbledEnuff, we have this great website in Dutch with al these stories and tips of mothers who have 'successfully' relacted their babies. Was hopeing they would have an English article, no such luck. Shame. But I did read something about a mother who was also having difficulty getting her child to latch on.
This is wat she tried: In the time that I started pumping, I also began feeding Bram in a different way. Instead of 'upright' sitting on his lap, I tried to feeding him belly to belly, the bottle on my bare chest so that he could get used to it again. Furthermore, I waited until he opened his mouth right before he got the bottle. I wanted to see a "big bite". I also tried to latch him more frequent, but he didn't want that. Until one night after the last feeding, he still had some need to suck but his bottle was empty. I tried again to latch him on, and it worked, the first real victory now! Because he only showed an interest at night before 'bedtime' I tried to make that time as special as i could. Just the two of us, darkened room, under the covers, belly to belly without clothing. After a couple tries he finally drank. Victory! After that I tried to make sure that there actually was milk in his mouth by using breast compression. She doesn't have enough to completely stop with the formula, but she does expect that moment to come. 

I hope it works, you are doing great!

#6 samantha

samantha

Moderate Poster

• Newbies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

update?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users